Friday, October 26, 2012

"Pinocchio" & "The Other Side"

I thought of making myself a beautiful marionette. It must be wonderful, one that can dance, fence and turn somersaults. Episode eight of season two is inspired by the story of Pinocchio, a late 19th century serial turned novel for children. Released as The Adventures of Pinocchio, the tale was created by Carlo Collodi, a celebrated Italian translator of French fairy tales. The novel is now in the public domain and can be read online or downloaded for e-readers free of charge at Project Gutenberg

Episode Summary: (from TV.com) Nick and Hank investigate a murdered high school student who was killed because of their involvement in an academic decathlon. Meanwhile, Monroe gets a visitor at the spice shop and Renard must deal with his obsession.

Grimm on Grimm: This episode centers around a troubled teen who has, unbeknownst to him, been genetically manipulated by his scientist mother. His cross Wesen genes are almost like split personalities and the boy is unaware when his violent side surfaces, leading him to murder a number of classmates. The mother is a modern puppet master Geppetto in that her well-meaning genetic modifications were intended to create the perfect son, just as Geppetto crafted the ideal marionette. I haven't yet read The Adventures of Pinocchio, so my only notions of Pinocchio come from the Disney film, which I must have seen as a child, and Pinocchio references found in popular culture. I'm told the original story is much darker and exhibits strong links with older fairy tales, a subject with which the author was intimately familiar due to his passionate work in translation. Collodi's novel is loaded onto my Kindle and I'm very impatient to get started! Until then, I'm ill-prepared to comment further on the episode and look forward to updating this post within the next few weeks, at which point  The Adventures of Pinocchio will be fresh in my mind. I leave you with this link to an article on Pinocchio's "otherness" as the archetypal man-made boy à la Frankenstein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment